For most people, family is one of the most powerful influences over a wide variety of life decisions. From where you live to which college you attend to even where you work, there’s a good chance you considered how it impacts your family. So for our August question of the month, we want to know specifically how your parent/guardian(s) influenced your career path.

Be sure to subscribe to our RSS feed - powered by Express Employment Professionals!

, ,

6 Responses to Poll: How Much Influence Did Your Parent(s)/Guardian(s) Have on Your Career Path?

1. Phil Luppke August 7, 2018 at 7:06 am #

Working for my dad after University led me into this business of sales management.

2. Marilyn Bethea August 7, 2018 at 7:29 am #

My mother was a teacher. She told me that she would not pay for my college education if went to school to be a teacher. So, I did not even think about majoring in education after her comment.

• Michele Gray August 9, 2018 at 9:28 am #

My father was a school superintendent and he told me the same thing. I wanted to be a Kindergarten teacher and he would not help me financially if I did so. I went my Freshman year and couldn’t decide on anything else so I quit. Went back years later and finished two Bachelor degrees and an MBA on my dime.

3. Lori August 7, 2018 at 10:33 am #

I am a marketing professional but work in the credit union industry. For the first half of my Dad’s career he was a banker, so certainly I was familiar with the industry but in a different area entirely.

4. Sabra Twiford August 7, 2018 at 11:17 am #

My dad was a C.P.A. and my mom was an interior designer. I’m now a Controller working at an office space design firm. I got the best of both of them!

5. Janine B. August 7, 2018 at 3:08 pm #

My parents encouraged me to explore my interests and then helped me find experiences that would allow me to deepen and explore those interests and thus led me to my current career. At the time I didn’t really appreciate it, as most of my friends were being told what to do, they didn’t have to think about it, and they were handed internships and jobs that helped them get a faster start in their careers. I felt a little like my parents were disinterested based on the type of help they were offering. But in the end, my friends who were guided into a career by their parents are unhappy or left their industries. I on the other hand have found my calling. My parents subtly supported that. NOW I appreciate it.