In July, we asked our readers to list the top factors that made their work fulfilling. The results may surprise you.
With 16%, the top answer to the monthly poll was “You feel like your work makes a difference/is meaningful,” followed by “Ability to provide for your family,” with 11%. With another 11% of the votes, readers said the “Ability to use their skills/expertise,” while 10% of respondents cited “Supportive leadership/boss” as a top factor that makes their work fulfilling.
The rest of the results are as follows:
- “You have a high level of work-life balance” (10%)
- “Great co-worker relationships” (9%)
- “Overall positive company culture” (9%)
- “You feel like you’re growing/developing” (8%)
- “Belief in the company’s values/mission” (6%)
- “Performance recognition from leadership/managers/colleagues” (4%)
- “Interesting/unique projects” (4%)
Another 2% of respondents chose the “other” option. Here are a few of their responses:
- “Ability to help others and influence positive change.”
- “Making what I feel is a good salary.”
- “Gives me purpose.”
- “It’s my amazing supportive co-workers. We make it fun despite the toxic work environment.”
- “Fun and exciting.”
- “Variety of tasks.”
- “There is nothing that makes my work fulfilling at my current job anymore.”
For more information on purpose and passion at work, check out these articles from Refresh Leadership!
- Passion vs. Pay: A Generational Debate
- Discover Your Passion
- The Great Resignation: Why Workers Are Leaving
- 5 Traits that Make Passionate Workers Drivers of Success
How do you make work more fulfilling? As a leader, what are you doing to help your employees discover their purpose and passion? Let us know in the comments section below!